Tuesday, September 28, 2010

KO Punch deliverd by a BLind Dude


 I’ve always thought the story in John 9 was one of the better ones in the Bible, probably because the blind beggar who gets healed delivers 3 great lines back to back to back to the Pharisees.

First, the Pharisees corner this guy and ask him if he thinks Jesus is a sinner. His response was perfect: “Whether he is a sinner, I do not know. One thing I do know, that though I was blind, now I see.”

Second, they make him go over his story of how he was healed a second time. The ex-blind guy must have a good sense of humor because he says to them, “I have told you already, and you would not listen. Why do you want to hear it again? Do you also want to become his disciples?” Zingaaa! Dude is on a role now.

The Pharisees are ticked off by his last statement and say “We’re disciples of Moses. We don’t even know where this guy comes from (referring to Jesus)!” Seizing the opportunity, the beggar delivers the knockout punch saying, “This is an amazing thing! You do not know where he comes from and yet he opens my eyes…Never since the world began has it been heard that anyone opened the eyes of a man born blind. If this man were not from God he could do nothing.”
The Pharisees, upon getting completely punked, threw the guy out of the synagogue.
You read the story and you think, stupid Pharisees were so oblivious to the truth that was right in front of them. But I know there’s lots of times when I miss it too. I don’t see stuff that’s going on around me, I miss opportunities to help other people and show them love, and I often don’t even see the cynicism, anger, or selfishness in my own heart. May God open all of our eyes to those things today and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment