Sunday, November 8, 2009

Daily Devotion




God Trouble

Psalm 46:1

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.

Reflections on Psalm 46


God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. (Verse 1)  He is your refuge and strength, an ever-present help whether it’s your first or last day of middle school.  He is your refuge whether you get good grades or often fail.  He is your help whether you are the most popular guy in school or you wonder if anyone knows your name.  God is your source of strength in every situation.

Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.  (Verse 2)  Because you have God, you need notfear, though your parents threaten to divorce, though your best friend turns her back on you, or you get cut from the basketball team.  You world won’t collapse when you have to stand in front of the class and give a speech, even thought you are shy and unsure of what you’ll say.  You will not fear!

There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells.  God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day.  (Verse 4).  Though you often struggle with loneliness, worries, and insecurities, God is there.  Though things look dark now, a promised new day will come.  God is great at changing darkness into light and despair into joy.

The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. (Verse 7)  The Lord Almighty is with you in your situation – no matter what threatens you, no matter how powerful your enemies are.  God is your fortress, a strong, impenetrable place of safety.

Come and see the works of the Lord, the desolations He has brought on the earth.  He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth; He breaks the bow and shatters the spear, He burns the shields with fire.  (Verses 8-9)  Come and see the works of the Lord!  See all the good things He has done in your life!  He is your friend.  He is with you always.  He gives comfort, joy and peace.  He makes all things beautiful in His time. 

Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.  (Verse 10)  God is speaking directly to you.  He says,  Stop.  Be still.  And think about Me.  I am your God!  I love you!  I only want what’s best for you.  Will you trust me?  Will you praise me at home, at school and when you’re out with your friends this weekend?”

 The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. (Verse 11)  The Lord Almighty is with you; God is your stronghold.  Praise the Lord!

Today’s Prayer:

Jesus, I come before you with a heart overflowing with praise that you are my refuge and strength.  You are my ever-present help in trouble.  I will not fear though the news broadcasts speak of war, though my parents are fighting, though my worries are many.  You know my fears and troubles.  Help me to be still and trust you because you are my God.  Help me to praise you in the sunshine and in the storm.  In Jesus’ Name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment