Wednesday, October 14, 2009

VULNERABLE WORSHIP PROJECT ASKS TOUGH QUESTIONS


   When a record's opening line pontificates, "When my world is caving in/When my hopes are wearing thin/When I'm choking in my sin," you better buckle your boot straps, because the realities of man, God and the division between the two are about to be tackled head on.

   With The Hope That Lies in You, The Glorious Unseen weaves the tough questions of everyday life into their ambient worship/rock, understanding the darker aspects of worship are key in the difficult process of surrendering to God.
   "Falling Into You" echoes Paul's New Testament battle of spirit and flesh with verses of torment: "This burden is shredding my soul/This cycle is out of control/You call me as your friend/As I drive these nails again." A completely instrumental track, "Come, Heaven" proves the famous sentiment: "Music is prayer without words," and "Sustain" gives God an earful: "Why do you let evil have its way?/How can you let orphans die in vain?" and "When will you give answers for the pain?/Is there a place where hope can still sustain?"
    Lyrically, the new record is unconventionally honest for modern worship. Musically, it's pretty predictable. And though "ambient" implies a bit of fluid sameness, the boys seem to have enough musical sense, indicated by the subtle glockenspiels and gorgeous string quartet arrangements throughout, to dig a little deeper than their Brit Rock tendencies.
   The Glorious Unseen is quite revealing, I really recomend this to you, check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment