Monday, October 18, 2010

Loving or Hating Glee

Glee
If you’ve never seen it, heard about it, been shamed by a friend who is mad you’re not watching it or “Modern Family,” then let me quickly describe it. Glee is a comedy/drama/musical (way too much singing in my opinion) centered on a glee club at a high school. Despite leaning heavily on “theme episodes,” they often tackle tough social issues in some surprising ways. It’s blown up in the last year. So much so, that bands who initially refused to let them use their music have come around. When I tweeted that Coldplay said no to Glee, people told me that was because Coldplay had too much “integrity.” Then the ratings exploded and Coldplay apologized to Glee and asked them to use their music.
But what I keep noticing is that there are two popular Christian reactions to Glee:

1. You’ve got to watch it!

In church one Sunday night a friend described to me some of the Christian undertones and discussion that often peppers the script of Glee. Then someone else tweeted me and implored me to not only watch it “It’s awesome! You would be crazy not to be watching it!” That’s what some people tell me but I have not been converted to the glee cult just yet.

2. I can only assume that satan is the executive producer of Glee.

Worst show ever. In addition to butchering Journey songs, they’re pushing a really horrible agenda on us. It’s garbage. I would sooner slow dance with the Golden Compass or share a sleeping bag with a bunch of Harry Potter books. I hate that show and all Christians should.

There’s no middle ground. You hate it or you love it. Or so it would appear. I’ve not watched a whole season or even more then 10 episodes and don’t have a firm opinion on Glee. (I don’t love it as much as I love the new music from The Script for instance or Hillsong United)

How about you though?    Do you watch Glee?   What’s your take?

No comments:

Post a Comment